With my students, the simple future tense is the third verb tense that I teach them. It usually takes a little while for the grammar to sink in, but when we are done studying, it is important to give them a simple future tense quiz to see how well they understand this material. For this reason, I have designed this short quiz to help you see how you or your child’s simple future skills are.
Generally speaking, the simple future tense is a far easier verb tense than many others that you will encounter in English. The sentence structure follows patterns you would expect, and there is very little conjugation that you need to memorize.
There are six parts to this test. They are primarily designed to test your knowledge of conjugation in the simple future tense and general sentence patterns. The last section is a listening test that you can use to test your listening skills.
If you would like to print off this test, you can download the Question PDF and the Answer PDF below. You will need to use the mp3 files found in Part 6 for those questions.
We also have articles other on the simple future, which you can review by clicking on the links below.
If you have any questions, you can ask them by posting your question on this page or clicking the image below.
Finally, we want to help people learn with English practice directly in your inbox. It’s a little old school, but why design and download an app when you don’t have to? If you want English grammar, vocabulary, and listening practice throughout your week, please subscribe below with your email.
Part 1 – Choose the Correct Answer /4
This firt part is a multiple choice exercise so for each question, there will be four possible answers. Only one of these answers is grammatically correct and makes sense as an answer to the question.
1. Where will you go today?
A. I going to the mall.
B. You are going to the mall.
C. I will going to the mall.
D. I will go to the mall.
2. When are you going to fix the sink?
A. I am going to fix the sink this afternoon.
B. I am go fix the sink next week.
C. I am going to fix the sink yesterday.
D. I am going fix the sink tomorrow.
3. Will he go to university?
A. I will go to university.
B Yes, he goes to university.
C. No, he won’t.
D. No, he willn’t go to university.
4. Are you going to be happy there?
A. Yes, I being happy there.
B. No, I am not going being happy there.
C. Yes, I am happy.
D. Yes, I am going to be happy there.
Part 2 – Verb Conjugations /6
In this section, we would like you to conjugate the verbs in the sentence properly. We will tell you which verbs to use in the parentheses.
1. I _____ (will / to run) around the track later.
2. They _____ (going/ to visit) their parents this weekend.
3. We _____ (will / not / to read) that book this month.
4. They _______(going / not / to finish) the race before 7 o’clock.
5. She _____ (will / to write) a letter this evening.
6. He ____ (going / to surprise) his mom with an early birthday present.
Part 3 – Answer the Question /5
In this section, we will give you a question. We want you to write an answer to that question. We have provided you the answer we want you to use with the words in the brackets.
Example: What will you eat tomorrow? (a sandwich)
Answer: I will eat a sandwich tomorrow.
1. What are you going to do tomorrow? (go to the park)
2. Where will she learn French? (in France)
3. Are you going to visit your mom this weekend? (No)
4. Will you be home later this morning? (Yes)
5. When are they going to move to New York? (in 2022)
Part 4 – Correct the Sentence /5
For Part 4, we have written five sentences for you. We want you to correct the sentences. Not all of the sentences necessarily have mistakes, so be careful.
1. Are John going to like living there?
2. We are going to go to a movie with him.
3. We not will try to fix it.
4. Tina and Ray are going the mall on Sunday.
5. She will going there next week.
Part 5 – Arrange the Sentence /3
These three sentences have been scrambled. You need to put them in their correct order.
Example: happy / be / She / will / tomorrow
Answer: She will be happy tomorrow.
1. at / going / to / so / fun / are / playground / much / We / have / the
2. Sharon / crackers / Will / cheese / with / serve / the / ?
3. not / I / to / happy / be / at / am / the / party / going
Part 6 – Listening Test /2
Listen to the audio clip and then answer the multiple-choice question. You can find the answers and transcriptions of the audio in the Answer PDF.
1. What is Sharon going to do on Friday?
A. She is going to her office.
B. She is going to an art museum.
C. She is going to buy some new clothes.
2. Will Jim like the surprise?
A. Yes, he will.
B. No, he won’t.
C. We don’t know.
Learn More About Verbs in English with The Learner’s Nook
We hope that this simple future test has helped you identify any issues that you may have in your English. If you have any questions, please comment on this post and we will do our best to get back to you as soon as possible.
You can always improve your English grammar skills. If you have questions about other verb tenses, click here to see some of our other verb articles.